The Stettler Library Board seeks a dynamic, innovative, energetic and creative professional to become our new Library Manager.
The Stettler Public Library serves a Town and County of 11,000 people nestled in the beautiful prairies of Central Alberta. We are 45 minutes east of Red Deer and offer the combination of small town living with easy access to city amenities. The library is well established and an integral part of the fabric of the community.
Stettler Library is a member of the Parkland Library System which provides access to the collections of 49 libraries and supports the libraries serving over 200,000 residents across Central Alberta. The newly redesigned and expanded Stettler Library plays a significant part in the community as a hub with programs enhanced by our collaboration with other community groups.
Reporting to the library board, the Manager is accountable for the planning, development, coordination and management of the library services in accordance with the policies established by the Board and with relevant legislation. The Manager will be responsible for the overseeing of 2 full time staff, 14 part time staff, and 4 summer students.
We are looking for a candidate who has the following attributes:
- Masters in Library Sciences, or equivalent professional qualification;
- Relevant public library experience;
- Excellent human resources management skills, strong teamwork ethic;
- Proven ability to instruct, organize, motivate, and supervise staff;
- Skilled in oral and written communication;
- Strong technical competence;
- Knowledge of trends in Library service delivery, online services, social media, and MS Office;
- Experience with collection development, programming and service evaluation;
- Strong financial management ability;
- Flexibility to relocate to Stettler (or surrounding area);
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends for special events or circumstances;
- Ability to reach out to service groups and organizations in the community as an advocate for the library;
- A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle;
Duties will include:
- Maintain a strong and cooperative relationship with Parkland Library System;
- Develop and maintain the Library’s collection;
- Report to and assist the Library board as required;
- Ensure adherence to the annual budget and assist the Board with its preparation;
- Develop, manage and measure effectiveness of staff and library programs;
- Assist the Library board with policy/procedure development and implementation;
- In partnership with the Board, solicit private sector donations;
Salary and Benefits
- Total compensation commensurate with education and experience
Please forward your CV and cover letter to:
Chair, Town of Stettler/County of Stettler No. 6 Library Board
6202 44 Ave
Applications will be accepted until Friday, July 6, 2018 at 4 p.m.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those candidates receiving serious consideration will be contacted.
Under the direction of the Library Manager or senior staff member on duty, the library page performs tasks related to the maintenance of materials and shelves.Duties and Responsibilities
a) Shelving, reading, and tidying of shelves
b) Repairing books including covering and reinforcing of new books
c) Library closing duties that include but are not limited to:
• checking for books in the book drop
• ensuring the library is neat and tidy before closing
d) Helping with duties related to the circulation desk
e) Other duties as assigned by the Library Manager or designate
Minimum: 14 years of age or older with an interest in libraries, reading, or books.
Working knowledge of computers and a knowledge of library procedures is desirable.
a) Required to lift, carry, or move library materials weighing 5-10 kg, with occasional lifting of items up to 30 kg.
b) Able to reach a range of shelves between 5 cm and 200 cm above floor level.
Hours of Work
This is a part-time position that requires evening and weekend work.
email Matt Barabash, Library Manager at email@example.com
or drop-off you resume at the Library:
Stettler Public Library
6202 44 Ave
Volunteer Positions: Youth Board Member
The Stettler Public Library Board is seeking new members in grades 7 to 12 who want to gain leadership experience and help make the library a better place. The only commitment is attending a monthly evening board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of every month (except July and August), and helping at occasional events.
Who Are We Looking For?
• Youth who are interested in developing their leadership skills and who want to contribute to their community.
• Youth with all kinds of backgrounds and experiences.
What Will You Do?
• Help plan events
• Promote the library to others
• Meet new people and community leaders
Why Should You Apply?
• Gain practical leadership experience that you can use in future employment and leadership roles
• Contribute to your community
• Have fun and meet new people
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org