If you are outgoing, flexible, creative, and have an interest in new technology, join us at Stettler Public Library. The Summer Reading Program Assistant works closely with the SRP Coordinators to deliver programming for children and teens designed to foster a love of reading and provide opportunities to express creativity. Anticipated start date: July 5, 2017. The theme for 2017 is Canada 150.
Wage: $16.00 per hour.
Hours: 35 hours per week, hours will vary and may include evening and weekend work.
This position runs from early July to late August; dates to be determined.
Duties and Responsibilities
- to assist with implementing activity plans and schedules for various age groups as developed by the SRP Coordinators;
- to provide an opportunity for children to be involved in hands-on learning including digital literacy and introductory STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) education, as well as with the library as a creative space;
- to organize imaginative weekly displays and contests;
- to participate in community outreach activities;
- to investigate and present alternative forms of reading via such avenues as graphic novels and games;
- to help organize a fun wind-up event for participants in the program that will involve a range of activities, crafts, food, games etc.;
- to promote the program within the community and at events;
- to help co-ordinate guest speakers/performers and field trips. Activities may include storytelling, creating videos, introductory computer coding, 3D printing, outdoor games, development of interactive displays, art classes, crafts, singing, puppet plays;
- to report statistics and submit program evaluations;
- to perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience working with children is preferred. An interest in Library & Information Studies, Education, Early Childhood Development, Music, Art, Drama, or Computer Science would be an asset;
- Must be a minimum of 15 years old as of June 30, 2017;
- Must be attending full-time post-secondary studies in fall of 2017;
- Satisfactory background screening including a Criminal Record Check;
- Must be available to work day, evening and weekend shifts.
- Please submit a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position
- The successful applicant must have a clean Criminal Record Check/Police Information Check
Closing Date: Friday, April 21, 2017 @ midnight.
Please email your resume and cover letter (email and fax preferred) to:
- Matt Barabash, Manager
- Stettler Public Library
- 6202 - 44 Avenue
- Stettler, AB
- T0C 2L1
- tel: 403 742-2292
- fax: 403 742-5481